Thursday, December 6, 2007

Wisdom from Thoreau

It's nearly midnight of the umpteenth night in a row I've been scrambling to finish the last of my essays as the semester nears an end. One of the classes upon which I'm laboring is Nature Writing. This evening, as I struggled to keep my eyes open, I came across a bit of wisdom by Thoreau, the man whose works I was so desperately trying to memorialize. He said, “Many a poor sore-eyed student that I have heard of would grow faster, both intellectually and physically, if, instead of sitting up so very late, he honestly slumbered a fool’s allowance.”
I couldn't agree more. Maybe next week.

3 comments:

  1. No kidding. I think I need to make a poster of that one, put it on the wall. In a strange way, I felt like Thoreau was taunting me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of those late nights on Thursday too! I was up until 3am writing a paper on ecological development of depression in adolscent girls. That was fun, let me tell you! But it's all over now...all twelve pages of it!

    ReplyDelete