Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Personality Tests

Lately at work we've been talking a lot about different personalities and communications styles. My manager recently had to do a presentation about the Merrill-Reid communication styles for a meeting, but he practiced on us first. I personally dig this kind of stuff...I think as a writer I embrace anything that "characterizes" me and the people I know. I can't explain it exactly...it's just, everyone has an idea of what kind of person they are, it's just fun to see it put into words. Of course, no personality test is 100% accurate seeing as how everyone is unique, but still, sometimes they get awfully close! It's important to point out that there is no "better" one, they all have their share of good and bad. Here are the Merrill-Reid styles:

Driver: · Objective-focused · Know what they want and how to get there! · Communicates quickly, gets to the point · Sometimes tactless and brusque · Can be an "ends justify the means" type of person · Hardworking, high energy · Does not shy away from conflict

Other Driver Personality traits:
__ PERSUASIVE
__ BUSINESS LIKE
__ TACTLESS
__ ARGUMENTATIVE
__ STUBBORN
__ COMPETITIVE
__ POSITIVE
__ CONFIDENT
__ BOLD
__ DOMINEERING
__ FORCEFUL
__ PRODUCTIVE
__ RISK TAKER
__ LEADER
__ OUTSPOKEN
__ DARING
__ PROUD
__ IMPATIENT
__ TASK ORIENTED
__ STRONG-WILLED
__ DECISIVE
__ SHORT-TEMPERED
__ INDEPENDENT
__ THOROUGH

*Does this sound like Keaton to anybody? Thought so!

Expressive: · Natural salesmen or story-tellers · Warm and enthusiastic · Good motivators, communicators · Can be competitive · Can tend to exaggerate, leave out facts and details · Sometimes would rather talk about things than do them!

Other Expressive Personality Traits
__ SOCIABLE
__ CHEERFUL
__ MESSY
__ DISORGANIZED
__ OPTIMISTIC
__ POPULAR
__ FUNNY
__ LIVELY
__ TALKATIVE
__ RESTLESS
__ UNPREDICTABLE
__ CONVINCING
__ LENIENT
__ EXCITABLE
__ HAPHAZARD
__ LOUD
__ FORGETFUL
__ CHANGEABLE
__ MIXES EASILY
__ INCONSISTENT
__ ENTHUSIASTIC
__ INTERRUPTS
__ PROMOTER
__ UNDISCIPLINED

...no surprise here, I was labeled "expressive" by every single one of my coworkers before I even got the results of the test! I wonder if that means I talk too much at work...

Amiable: · Kind-hearted people who avoid conflict · Can blend into any situation well · Can appear wishy-washy · Has difficulty with firm decisions · Often loves art, music and poetry · Highly sensitive · Can be quiet and soft-spoken

Other Amiable Personality traits:
__ LOYAL
__ GOOD LISTENER
__ PLAIN
__ FOLLOWER
__ WILLING
__ PEACEFUL
__ DEPENDABLE
__ FRIENDLY
__ SHY
__ TIMID
__ HESITANT
__ COMPROMISING
__ WORRIER
__ SUPPORTIVE
__ SUBMISSIVE
__ GENTLE
__ RESERVED
__ DOUBTFUL
__ AGREEABLE
__ RELUCTANT
__ PATIENT
__ SERENE
__ CONSIDERATE
__ GOOD-NATURED


Analytical: · Highly detail oriented people · Can have a difficult time making decisions without ALL the facts · Make great accounts and engineers · Tend to be highly critical people · Can tend to be pessimistic in nature · Very perceptive

Other Analytical personality traits:
__ LOGICAL
__ DETAILED
__ DEEP
__ HARD TO PLEASE
__ FUSSY
__ SERIOUS
__ RESPECTFUL
__ ORGANIZED
__ PESSIMISTIC
__ MOODY
__ WITHDRAWN
__ ACCURATE
__ LONER
__ PLANNER
__ PERSISTANT
__ SCHEDULED
__ SYSTEMATIC
__ CRITICAL
__ BEHAVED
__ STUFFY
__ INTROVERT
__ IDEALISTIC

I have to say, I've probably already decided what most of my friends and family are, but I won't say, I'll just let you decide for yourself!

3 comments:

  1. So I decided I am mostly amiable, with a little bit of analytical on the side. Stephen is half and half analytical and amiable. What did you think we were going to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked Carma out as amiable within the first few seconds of reading the description. I think both Crystal and Keaton fit thier descriptions to a T. I had trouble classifing Zack and myself, maybe that is because I don't have ALL the facts together yet... :) At any rate, it will be interesting dinner conversation, won't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm disappointed in the lack of "Awesome" as a certified choice. None of the others quite fit me D=. Lacking that option, I'd have to call myself a blend of Expressive/Analytical

    ReplyDelete