Saturday, February 2, 2008

Enter Three Witches

So since January is already over, I decided it was time to post my review for January's book of the month, Enter Three Witches. I'm not going to say much about it (Still essayed-out) but I do have to mention that if you've ever had trouble deciphering Shakespeare, this is a great place to start. The terrible deeds and eventual undoing of the Macbeths is chronicled by a teenaged girl, the Macbeth's ward and daughter of one of the first thanes (earls) thought to have betrayed King Duncan. (No, my dog did not get named after the murdered king.) As the story progresses, so does Mary's insight and maturity as well as her courage. I found it a great read, and would recommend it to anyone (even if you have no intention of reading Macbeth.) Also, it sheds a hopeful light on the aftermath of the Macbeth horror, which I found refreshing. I learned a lot about the culture in which Shakespeare's masterpiece was set, which was valuable in and of itself.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the read. Having never read Macbeth, I found myself horrified by Macbeth's actions. The most stunning part was how very unhappy both Lord and Lady Macbeth were, dispite having all the could ever want. Hapiness is not found through wealth or power. It is found through an inside search of oneself. I thought the book was very powerful, and I'm sure that it made more sense than the real Macbeth would (because you have to decipher shakespearian language into everyday English). I was suprised at how little a role the three witches actually played? Does anyone know the reasoning behind their appearance and the significance of their role (or their symbolic meaning)? Has anyone that read Enter Three Witches read Macbeth? How does it compare?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some scholars believe that the witches were written in after by a different author (the meter of the witch scenes is different and unusually un-shakesperean). It has never been proven or denied, but that could be one reason their parts are minimalisitic.

    ReplyDelete