Monday, July 20, 2009

I think my baby ate an earwig

I think Jamison just ate an earwig.

About a half hour ago I was putting some dishes in the sink. I saw an earwig.

I stepped on it. A couple of times, just to make sure it was dead.

It's sweep and mop day today, so no big deal. I'll sweep it up in a minute, I thought to myself. Then I get called out of the kitchen for some reason or another.

A few minutes ago I return to the kitchen to make Jamison a bottle so I can feed him and put him down for a nap. I leave him in the living room while I measure the water and scoop in the formula. He crawls into the kitchen and sits at my feet to see what I am doing. I look at him and smile. He smiles back.

He's got something in his mouth. Thinking he's found a piece of Duncan's dog food (again) I reach down and poke my figer in his mouth to try and pull it out.

He swallows and then wails angrily at me for the intrusion. Nothing in his mouth anymore.

And then I look to where my smashed earwig was lying, waiting for its final interment in the garbage can.

It's gone.

I ask Jamison, "You didn't just...? Did you...?"

He smiles like he's been a little rebellious and he's proud of himself.

Secretly I hope it was a piece of dogfood.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure he'll survive! You gotta watch things with a little crawly one around. They always know how to find exactly what you don't want them to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my nephews practically lived on dogfood for his first year, we even locked up the food and he would actually take it out of the dog's mouth! (gross, I know, but as you see, sometimes they just get away from you!) and as for the earwig, I'm sure it was great. I ate caterpillars on my misssion, and they just tasted like dirt. Maybe Jamison is just getting ready for his own two years in a strange place with even stranger food...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillarious! I bet you never thought you'd say that you hoped he was eating dog food. :)

    ReplyDelete